Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 11...

Okay today was pretty terrible, but overall I'm not that upset. This morning my roommates and I were absolutely dead. Some mornings are harder than others. Breakfast was incredible as usual. We had gorditas, papaya, and this strawberry deliciousness that was essentially a warm smoothie. I do have to say that the other day we had the most terrible breakfast ever. Well, it was better than eating rotted garbage, but overall it just did not taste good. It was a tamale something or another that was nasty, a juice tasted (and was thick) like warm, rotted egg-nog, and the papaya was more garbage tasting than usual. But one bad meal every 2 weeks isn't a bad deal. So I'm not complaining. It's just funny to joke about now.
Okay, here's my hilarious moment of the day. I have no clean clothes whatsoever. I'm honestly wearing my pajamas right now, and I wore them to school (I changed my pants to jeans so it wasn't that bad). So my roomies and I decided to hunt down a Lavanderia (laundromat). We knew of the ones near our house, but the only one that's within walking distance is a dry-cleaning/laundry place where people clean the clothes for you. We went to see how much that would cost... with our clothes like dummies, and they asked for $284 pesos, which is like $26 american dollars (this isn't all my clothes by the way, this is 3 people's laundry combined). Well that was just outrageous so we left, stood on the corner and tried to figure out possibilities. We decided to just find a cheap laundromat and take a taxi. But I had to run back home and get the soap. Let's just say I was outrageously sweaty by the time I got back to my roomies. The peak of day never ends here. Anyways we walked another quarter of a mile with 12 kilos of laundry, so so stupid, and found a taxi. He takes us to the nearest laundry place, but lo and behold, it was exactly the same thing. And it cost $288 pesos. By that point I just didn't care so I paid because we already paid $30 pesos for the cab, I have no idea where another laundry place is, and my Spanish is just failing miserably at this point. I understood nothing that the laundry-ladies said, like whatsoever. So we walk home all disappointed in our failed adventure, got some drinks at the gas station and walked the 2 miles home. Oh and by the way, my clothes will not be ready until 6pm tomorrow night (I still don't have clothes). Tomorrow will be interesting.
I also forgot Spanish while introducing myself during our service hours today. My teacher translated for me. I was so embarrassed and I felt so dumb because I full ability to say what I needed to say, I just couldn't. But even though today was relatively horrendous, I'm not upset. I learned a lot (like to just wash my own clothes in the sink), and I also got to serve and be with children. We went and helped out at school for the blind today and I met the sweetest kids I've ever met. They were so happy to just hear us talk whether it was in English or in Spanish. I got to hold their hand and talk with them about simple daily things. They told cute stories and just smiled and laughed away as I failed miserably at pronunciation. That made my day not a total failure. That sounds cheesy, but it really helps. Anyways, until next time. Adios

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you about how the kids made our day worth it. If it wasn't for that time with them all of us probably would have ended up just quitting and selling our souls to the bus drivers or street vendors.

    Or we would have just said it was a waste of a day.

    ReplyDelete